The page updated 5.8.2016
Student Union of the University of Jyväskylä (JYY) organizes temporary accommodation, which is meant for students of University of Jyväskylä or JAMK University of Applied Sciences who don’t have an apartment when their studies begin in Jyväskylä.
The temporary accommodation is arranged between 19th of August and 3rd of October 2016 in Omena Hotel Jyväskylä (Address Vapaudenkatu 57, 40100 Jyväskylä). The accommodation is in rooms of two or three and the price is 20€/night/person. Here you find all the necessary information concerning the temporary accommodation.
Please note that temporary accommodation has limited amount of places, and unfortunately, we cannot guarantee a place for everyone. You can start booking a place for you in the beginning of week 33 (15th of August at 2pm).
- For more information contact JYY’s Temporary Accommodation Responsible Hanna Toppi
+358 50 410 9329
How the process goes
- The student in need of temporary accommodation can book / enquire the availability of the accommodation via phone or email directly from JYY.
- If there is space the student can book a bed for him-/herself for Monday afternoon to Wednesday morning, Wednesday afternoon to Friday morning or Friday afternoon to Monday morning. Only the student wanting to come to the temporary accommodation can book a bed for him-/herself (e.g. the student’s tutor can’t do the booking).
- The student can arrive to the accommodation only on Monday, Wednesday or Friday afternoon.
- The bookings can only be done in series mentioned above (Mon.-Wed., Wed.-Fri., Fri.-Sun.) Student can also book a bed for several series at time if he/she knows that the need for accommodation is longer. e.g. from Monday until the next week’s Wednesday.
- If the student happens to find a permanent accommodation, and is no longer in need of the temporary accommodation offered to you by JYY, he/she must cancel the reservation of accommodation series booked at least one workday before the next accommodation series starts. Cancellation must be done by noon, otherwise the student will be billed for the next accommodation series.
- The booking made by phone or by email is binding and you are required to give your billing information when booking the accommodation.
- The student will pick up a room code for the accommodation, sing a contract and pay for the accommodation at JYY’s Central Office during the opening hours. The person staying at the accommodation must pick up the room code him-/herself.
- The codes for the rooms are changed regularly and the resident will receive the new code the phone number given when booking the accommodation.
Booking and contact information
Students have to book their place at the temporary accommodation in advance, before arriving to Jyväskylä. Please contact JYY directly for booking:
- Tel: +358 50 410 9329
- E-mail: apu(a)jyy.fi
- Omena Hotel’s web page: https://www.omenahotels.com/en/hotels/jyvaskyla-en/
If there is space the student can book a bed for him-/herself for Monday afternoon to Wednesday morning, Wednesday afternoon to Friday morning or Friday afternoon to Monday morning. Student can also book a bed for several series at time if he/she knows that the need for accommodation is longer. e.g. from Monday until the next week’s Wednesday. The reservation can only start on Monday, Wednesday or Friday. If the student happens to find a permanent accommodation and is no longer in need of the temporary accommodation, he/she must cancel the booking at least one working day before the next accommodation series starts by noon. Otherwise he/she is obligated to pay for the booked nights 20€/night/person. The maximum time of stay is not restricted during 19th of August and 3rd of October 2016.
Example 1: Student has booked an accommodation from Monday afternoon to Friday morning but happens to find a permanent accommodation starting from Wednesday. The student cancels the booked temporary accommodation from Wednesday afternoon to Friday morning on Tuesday by noon and thus isn’t obligated to pay for the Wed.-Fri. reservation.
Example 2: Student has booked temporary accommodation just to be on the safe side from Friday afternoon to Monday morning upon her arrival to Jyväskylä. She gets a call on Friday at 3 pm that she got a permanent apartment and is no longer in need of the temporary accommodation for the weekend. Because the time limit for cancelling the booking was on the one working day before the reservation starts by noon she is obligated to pay for the temporary accommodation from Friday to Monday 20€/night = 60€.
Please note that temporary accommodation has limited amount of places, and unfortunately, we cannot guarantee a place for everyone. You can start booking a place for you in the beginning of week 33 (15th of August).
The student can arrive to Omena Hotel at any time but the key code for the room must be picked up from JYY’s Central Office during opening hours in a workday. When picking up the key code the student is asked to fill an agreement, pay for the booked nights and to tell from which academy are he/she is from.
- JYY’s Central Office (Ylioppilastalo Ilokivi): Keskussairaalantie 2, 40600 Jyväskylä
- Open Mon– Thurs 11–12 and 12:30–16, Fri 11–12 ja 12:30–15 (if not otherwise informed / agreed)
The organizers of the temporary accommodation asks that the students staying in tbe temporary accommodation takes into consideration the other person(s) staying at the room when planning arrival time. We also ask the students to respect the common silent hours during night time and early mornings (in Finland they are usually from 11 pm to 7 am).
Price, paying and the rooms
The price is 20 €/night/person is valid only for the students who have booked the temporary accommodation from the Student Union JYY. The room must be reserved in advance and always at least for Mon.-Wed., Wed.-Fri. or Fri.-Mon (check more specific explanation under “Booking and contact information”) The price includes accommodation in a mixed 2-3 beds room. This means that there may be both men and women in the same room. The organizers will consider gender requests when handing out the rooms if possible. In the room, you will find a bathroom, one bed, two sofa beds, bed linen and towels. The facilities in the rooms also include a mini-refrigerator, microwave, electric kettle (disposable cups, spoons, coffee and tea available in the rooms), hairdryer and a dining table for four. The rooms have a free Internet connection. Breakfast is not included.
The paying of the temporary accommodation reservation will be done when picking up the key code for the room at JYY’s Central Office. If the student books more than one accommodation series he/she pays the whole amount at once. If the student books later more accommodation series he’she must come to JYY’s office to pay for the series at latest on the day the new accommodation series starts. If the resident no longer has need for the accommodation the cancellation of possible pre-reserved bookings must be done one workday before the booking begins by noon.
Checkout must be done 12 pm at latest in the last day of your reservation (Wednesday, Friday or Monday morning). The temporary accommodation ends on 3rd of October and in that day you must also leave by noon.
You are not allowed to stay at the temporary accommodation after your reservation has ended unless you make a new reservation.
If you have right for the finnish financial aid for students and you stay at the accommodation 18 days or more, you may have right to get housing supplement.
You have to apply study grant and housing supplement together. You can apply it and get the information here. If you have applied also for the housing supplement in order to get it for the expenses of temporary accommodation you have to fill out this form. It’s needed as an attachment to your application. Please fill out the form, and return it to your student organisation (JYY/JAMKO) and the student organisation will sent the form for you to the student financial aid committee of your studying institution, where your application will be processed. In order to get the housing supplement for the temporary accommodation, you have to return the form to your student organisation no later than 3rd of October. Please note that Student aid as well as separately applied for parts of the aid can be granted from the beginning of the month in which you applied for it. So in order to get student aid for September, you must leave the application no later than 30.9.
You are in charge of yourself, your belongings and your actions at the temporary accommodation. The Student Union or the Omena Hotellit Oy will not pay for any damage caused by guests or for lost or damaged property. You will have to leave the accommodation after the nights you have reserved are out and you can not let any outsider in to the hotel.
Act considerately at the accommodation.