Student Union membership
Every degree student of the University of Jyväskylä becomes a member of JYY by paying the annual membership fee. Also exchange and visiting students are encouraged to join in order to gain access to a range of exclusive benefits and services provided for members. The membership fee entitles you to purchase a student identification card and get a free calendar. With the student card, you get various discounts, for example in student cafeterias, public transportation, museums, theatres, and in some stores and hairdresser’s. As a member you are also entitled to inexpensive health care at the Finnish Student Health Service (FSHS, in Finnish YTHS). The membership of the Student Union is voluntary for doctoral students and they are not entitled to all of the benefits, like student health services and discounts in transport.
See below a full list of services and benefits we offer for our members and why it is in your best interest to join!
Benefits and services of the Student Union
The Student Union membership entitles you to inexpensive healthcare services of the Finnish Student Health Service (FSHS).
The FSHS provides:
– free general and mental health services
– very affordable oral health services
– service also in English
For more information, please see: http://www.yths.fi/en
The Student Union membership entitles you to acquire a student card. With the student card you can get various discounts and benefits:
– discount for meals in student cafeterias (2.60 € per meal)
– 45-55% discount in trains and long-distance buses (not Onnibus)
– discounts in museums, theatres, movie theatres, and some sports facilities and events
– discounts in some stores and hairdressers’
See complete list of benefits at: https://frank.fi/en/discounts/
The Student Union provides many different services for students:
– student cafeteria Ilokivi 2 in the university library building. Ilokivi 2 serves 3 different dishes per day and a vegan option is also available.
– Kampus Kino movie theatre in the main campus of JAMK, Rajakatu 35. Shows alternative films every Tuesday.
– student newspaper Jylkkäri available for free at stands around the campuses. Provides also a section in English.
– free student calendar
– weekly student newsletter and other information in English
– rentable rooms, meeting spaces and saunas
– various social and free time activities, such as movie nights, concerts, club nights, flea markets, theme weeks, and sport events
– active student life – a large amount of different student organisations and clubs function in the sphere of the Student Union and organise a variety of activities
– computer shop MultiTronic and iTronic in city centre, Gummeruksenkatu 6
Housing and living
The Student Union provides apartments for students and helps in everyday life
– affordable student apartments in Kortepohja Student Village (for Student Union members only)
– survival kits for international exchange and visiting students
– recycling centre Kierukka in Kortepohja – bring or take anything you want or need for free
– temporary accommodation at the beginning of the autumn semester for students who don’t yet have accommodation
– tools and equipment to rent and borrow
– possibility to apply for short-term emergency loans
– online apartment forum for students looking for an apartment
The Student Union supervises students’ interests:
– Student Union’s Board and staff work daily on behalf of students’ interests
– Secretaries provide advice in questions related to e.g. studies, accommodation, welfare and legal issues
– the Student Union represents students in university decision making
– Student Unions influence students’ affairs on a national decision-making level
– All members can influence the Student Union’s activities by participating in student groups called subcommittees