Information on Travels to and from Finland for EU/Schengen Citizens

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, border crossing from and to Finland has been restricted. Currently the restrictions are gradually being lifted but in case of a new wave of the COVID-19 pandemic could result in reintroducing stricter restrictions.

As for leaving Finland, everyone has the right to leave the country. When it comes to re-entering Finland, as a national of an EU or Schengen country and as an international student in Finland, you are allowed to return to Finland to continue your studies but you need to prove that your current residence is in Finland. In order to prove that you reside in Finland, it is required that you have registered your right of residence at the Finnish Immigration Service. The Finnish Immigration Service also issues a registration certificate that you are advised to have with you when you return to Finland.

Shall you decide to leave Finland for some time during the summer holiday, you are requested to follow instructions of the Government of Finland regarding a 14 days self-isolation.

Further information on the registration of the right of residence for EU/EEA citizens:

Up-to-date information on traveling to and from Finland can be found on the website of The Finnish Border Guard at You are advised to check the website for updates in case you decide to travel from and to Finland during the summer.

More information

Ágnes Stojcsics
Specialist in International Affairs