During the past few decades, SYL’s themes for development cooperation have been education, supporting students, and increasing the awareness of development cooperation in Finland. The development cooperation work has promoted the principles which we value also in other activities: sustainability, fairness, and education. SYL’s development cooperation activities also involve volunteers in Finland, for instance through SYL’s Development Cooperation Advisory Board (KENKKU).
KENKKU consists of a group of volunteers who represent different student unions. The advisory board is in charge of managing SYL’s development cooperation projects together with the SYL board member in charge of development cooperation and the development cooperation coordinator. Members of KENKKU are elected for an academic year and the recruitment takes place in spring via JYY. If you are interested in applying, follow JYY’s communication channels such as the weekly Student News JYYTISET, JYY website and Facebook.
During the academic year 2020-2021, Inka Mantere and Laura Del Castillo Munera represent JYY in KENKKU.
From 2019 to 2022, SYL is supporting the education of disabled students in three publicly funded universities in Ethiopia. The project aims to provide disabled students with high-quality education on an accessible basis and on level terms with other university students.
The project is supporting the participation of disabled students in the universities in question, by establishing or reinforcing the institutions’ services for the disabled. The aim is for the universities to continue providing such services and assistive devices after the project. This has worked well in previous, similar projects. The project also aims to reduce gender inequality, by ensuring that both women and men participate in the education arranged through the project.
The project is in receipt of project funding from the Ministry for Foreign Affairs. Because the project is assisting disabled people, the Ministry’s funding covers 92.5% of its costs, the remaining 7.5% being covered by donations.
Read more about the project, KENKKU, and SYL’s development cooperation on SYL’s website.
You can support SYL’s project by making a donation at the same time as paying JYY’s membership fee in OILI-system. Donating is completely voluntary.
Small-scale money collection information
Organizer: The Student Union of the University of Jyväskylä
+358 50 338 7655
Keskussairaalantie 2, 40600 Jyväskylä
Licence number: RA/2022/450
Licence granted by & Duration: Central Finland Police Department, 1.4.2022 – 31.5.2022.
Account Number: FI30 1581 3000 0339 35
The intended primary use of collected funds:
The funds are collected for National Union’s (SYL) project to empower disabled higher education students (EMPOWER-project) in Ethiopia. The project is supporting the participation of disabled students in three public universities in 2019-2022, by establishing or reinforcing the institutions’ services for the disabled. The aim is for the universities to provide accessible and high-quality teaching and for the universities to continue providing such services and assistive devices after the project. The universities are Debre Berhan, Dilla, and Jimma. The project also attempts to decrease gender inequality by ensuring that both genders are represented in the project’s training. The project is organized with the help of the ministry for foreign affairs’ funding. The ministry’s funds cover 92,5% of all the expenses of the project. The remaining 7,5% are covered by donations. With this small-scale money collection, JYY wants to support SYL and collect funds to cover that 7,5%. Since financing for this project is granted till the end of 2022, it is likely, that all collected funds are allocated towards the intended primary use.
The intended secondary use of collected funds:
If the EMPOWER-project must be suspended for some reason, the collected funds in 2022 would be allocated to self-finance SYL’s and the eight Student Unions’ mutual project “Kestävyys kannattaa, kannata kestävyyttä!” (“sustainability is worth it, promote sustainability!”). This project aims to encourage students to think about their own consumption patterns and the impact of consumption on a global scale. The project promotes Agenda 2030 goal 12 (responsible consumption and production). It also helps our work towards goal 4.7 by increasing students’ capabilities to understand global responsibility. The ministry for foreign affairs has granted funding for the project for 2021 and 2022. The amount of funding is annually at most 90% of all the accepted expenses. At most 5% of self-financing of all annual expenses can be covered with goods and service donations.